There's nothing I love more than a cup of tea, except a cup of tea with a slice of cake. My tea of choice is either a Rooibos or a Nettle Tea because I find these refreshing. Rather oddly, however, if I have an Afternoon tea I want nothing more than a good old Breakfast tea, which is exactly what I shall be drinking with this Chocolate and Raspberry cake. Perhaps a special occasion cake, this is made with spone, raspberry syrup, chocolate mousse, chocolate glaze and raspberries. All are fairly simple to prepare and Valentines give us the perfect excuse to indulge. If you have any questions about this recipe you can find me on Twitter at MariaKelly17 where I will be happy to help.
For the sponge:
4 eggs yolks + 4 egg whites
125g caster sugar
90g flour, sifted
30g unsweetened cocoa, sifted
1. Prepare 3 baking trays with parchment paper and turn oven on to 180˚C, making sure you have 3 shelves in place. Trace on circles or heart shapes (for you romantics).
2. Combine the egg yolks and 60g of the sugar, beat until pale yellow and creamy. Separately whisk the egg whites, gradually adding the rest ofhe sugar util this is glossy, smooth and has stiff peaks.
3. Gently fold in the egg yolk mixture, then the flour and cocoa powder.
4. Pipe this mixture using a round nozzle, working outwards, following the shape closely until filled.
5. Bake for 8 minutes, then set aside to cool.
For the Raspberry syrup:
50g caster sugar
50ml raspberry liqueur
1. Place the water and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil.
2. Remove from heat to cool. Once cold add the liqueur.
For the Chocolate Mousse:250g dark (55%) chocolate
500ml whipping cream
1. Chop the chocolate and place over a bain-marie until the temperature reaches approx. 45˚C on a cooking thermometer.
2. Beat the cream until it forms stiff peaks.
3. Add 1/3 of the cream into the chocolate beating briskly to combine.
4. Pour this mixture over the rest of the cream and fold in gently.
For the Chocolate Glaze:
140g dark chocolate
200ml whipping cream
25g mild honey 1. Chop the chocolate and place into bowl.
2. Heat the cream and honey until simmering and pour this over the chocolate, stir until combined.
For the Decoration:
350g fresh raspberries
1. Place one of the sponges onto a rack and brush with the raspberry syrup. Spread 1/3 of the chocolate mousse and arrange 1/3 of the raspberries on the mousse.
2. Place the second sponge on top and repeat.
3. Place the remaining sponge on top then spread the remaining 1/3 of the mousse all over the cake and place in fridge to set for 20 minutes.
5. Decorate with the remaining raspberries.
Adapted from The Chocolate BIBLE, Le Cordon Bleu.
You can find more food and bakes in Maria's Kitchen!Thank you Maria for our delicious treat for Valentines day!!